Precautions for Hot Melt Edge Banding
Edge banding hot melt adhesive is a kind of thermoplastic glue specially used for edge banding of furniture panels. It has a wide range of uses in edge banding and is suitable for bonding various materials.
What should I pay attention to when using edge banding adhesive?
#1 The temperature during edge sealing
Since the performance of edge-sealing hot melt adhesive is affected by temperature, temperature is an indicator that requires attention during the edge-sealing process. The temperature of the hot melt adhesive, the temperature of the substrate, the temperature of the edge banding material and the temperature of the working environment (the workshop where the edge banding machine is located) are all very important edge banding parameters during edge banding.
#2 Treatment of edge banding glue line
After edge sealing, the glue line between the board and the edge band will adversely affect the appearance of the panel furniture. Excessive amount of glue will make the glue line obvious and on the contrary will reduce the edge sealing strength.
#3 Hot melt adhesive requirements for base material and edge banding materials
- It is more difficult to seal the edges of the base material rich in grease. Oily substances will reduce the affinity between the board and the glue. A long time will greatly reduce the bonding strength and cause the edge band to fall off.
- Generally speaking, the temperature of the board and edge banding material should be kept above room temperature to ensure the edge banding quality.
- The moisture content of the board and veneer should not exceed 12%. Too high moisture content will cause the hot melt adhesive to cure in advance and reduce the wetting performance, thereby reducing the bonding strength.
- When the fireproof board is used as an edge banding material, since its back often has residual substances that are not conducive to bonding, the backside of the fireproof board must be treated with glue or a suitable solvent before edge sealing to obtain a good edge sealing effect.
- Some PVC edge banding tapes often cause difficulties in edge banding due to poor back coating treatment.
#4 Matters needing attention in the use of hot melt adhesive in the maintenance of the edge banding machine
- When the edge banding machine is not working, the temperature of the glue tank should be reduced to about 150°C. On the one hand, it can prevent the hot melt adhesive from carbonizing at the temperature for a long time. Keep the glue tank clean and not cause the glue supply system to block and Reduce heating performance; on the other hand, it can quickly raise the temperature of the glue tank to the use temperature when working again. In addition, more than 2/3 of the glue must be kept in the glue tank, otherwise black carbon will be produced around the glue tank.
- To clean up the rubber tank and the rubber coating roller rubber tank regularly. Excessive carbonization and residue on the rubber roller will reduce the performance of the heating system and the rubber supply system.
- If you want to remove the remaining glue in the glue tank, you can put a T-shaped object into the glue before the edge banding machine stops working when the glue is still in the molten state, and then reheat the glue after the glue is completely cooled. The surrounding glue is heated and melted and most of the remaining glue can be taken out with a T-shaped object. Then use a 1:1 mixture of toluene and methylene chloride to clean the remaining glue.
The use effect of edge banding hot melt adhesive is affected by the temperature, the treatment of the edge banding line, the substrate and the edge banding material, and the maintenance of the edge banding machine.